St. Lawrence Flour Mills

Les exportations de blé canadien ont connu une expansion phénoménale au début du 20e siècle, suite à une série de mauvaises récoltes aux États-Unis et à l’amélioration des méthodes de culture dans les provinces de l’ouest.

Bien que Montréal soit alors le principal port céréalier du pays, la ville ne compte qu’un grand minotier, la compagnie Ogilvie. Cette situation avantageuse favorisa la création de deux nouvelles minoteries: Dominion Flour Mills (1912-1914) à Saint-Henri et St. Lawrence Flour Mills (1911) à Sainte-Cunégonde.

Aujourd’hui connue sous le nom de Horizon Milling, cette dernière est toujours en opération.

Les installations de la compagnie sont situées au 2110 Notre-Dame Ouest, à l’angle du boulevard Georges-Vanier.

Publicité pour la St. Lawrence Flour Mills Co. Limited

Journal La Patrie, 19 décembre 1911, p. 3

Au moment de la parution de cet article dans le quotidien montréalais La Patrie le 19 décembre 1911, il y a donc cent ans aujourd’hui, la St. Lawrence Flour Mills était une toute jeune compagnie, en opération depuis quelques mois seulement.

Une compagnie établie en 1911

Le bâtiment de la St. Lawrence Flour Mills a été construit en 1911, sur le site de l’ancien chantier naval d’Augustin Cantin, sur la rive nord du canal de Lachine,.

Cet article a paru dans le quotidien montréalais Montreal Daily Witness,
le 25 février 1911. Source: Albums de rues E.-Z. Massicotte, BAnQ.

MANY CIRCUMSTANCES FAVOR ST. LAWRENCE FLOUR MILLS CO. IN ITS PROPERCTIVE OPERATIONS

Montreal Daily Witness, February 25, 1911

The above illustration shows the progress which has been made up-to-date with the new plant of the St. Lawrence Flour Mills Co., Ltd. It will be seen that the structural work of the mill and warehouse has been finished. The concrete and steel work of the elevator is finished, while the tile tanks are nearing completion. This plant is the last word in the science of mill building. The structural work is composed entirely of concrete with steel reinforcement, and in this respect is unique among Canadian mills.

The capacity of the mill is 2,500 barrels daily. The warehouse will hold 160,000 bags of flour, while the elevator is designed to hold about 400,000 bushels of wheat, and sufficient working machinery will be installed in the elevator to handle 600,000 bushels which will be provided by storage tanks at small expense, as the business of the company warrants it.

The milling machinery will be applied and installed by the Allis-Chalmers Company of Milwaukee. Mr J. F. Harrison, their manager, who was lately in town (…)

(…) the property of the company runs through to 1110 Notre-Dame Street West, where the head office of the company will be situated. With canal frontage and basins on either side, as well as railway sidings, the situation is an ideal one for economical flour milling.

The president of the company is Mr George A. Grier, the well-known lumber merchant, who is also president of the Diamond Glass Company, a director of the Dominion Textile Company, besides holding many other offices in the business life of the city.

The vice-president is Mr. T. Williamson, for many years one of the executive officers of the Ogilvie Flour Mills Company, he having successfully held the position of local manager in Winnipeg, assistant to the general manager, and secretary of the company.

The managing director is Lt.-Col. A. E. Labelle, the genial commander of the sixty-fifth regiment. Col Labelle is also an old officer of the Ogilvie Company, having held position of local manager in Montreal since the company was reorganized in 1902.

The other directors are Rudolf Forget, M.P., Mr C. J. Fleet, K. C., and Mr George Kent. (…)

Source: Albums de rues E.-Z. Massicotte, BAnQ

Vue aérienne de Montréal en 1963 avec la St. Lawrence Flour Mills Co, aujourd’hui connue sous le nom de Horizon Milling, en premier plan

Sources:

  • Yvon Desloges et Alain Gelly, Le canal de Lachine, du tumulte des flots à l’essor industriel et urbain. Septentrion, 2002. p. 137
  • St Lawrence Flour Mills, Albums de rues E.-Z. Massicotte, BAnQ, Adresse URL
  • La Patrie, 19 décembre 1911, p. 3. Source: BAnQ. Adresse URL
Advertisements

Poster un commentaire

Classé dans Arrondissement du Sud-Ouest, boul. Georges-Vanier, Canal de Lachine, Industries, Petite-Bourgogne, rue Fulford, rue Notre-Dame, Sainte-Cunégonde

Laisser un commentaire

Entrez vos coordonnées ci-dessous ou cliquez sur une icône pour vous connecter:

Logo WordPress.com

Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte WordPress.com. Déconnexion / Changer )

Image Twitter

Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte Twitter. Déconnexion / Changer )

Photo Facebook

Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte Facebook. Déconnexion / Changer )

Photo Google+

Vous commentez à l'aide de votre compte Google+. Déconnexion / Changer )

Connexion à %s